[opensuse] 64 bit vs 32 bit RAM consumption
In googling the possibility of using a 64 bit kernel on an otherwise 32 bit openSUSE (consensus: don't try it), I found quite a bit of mention of 64 bit apps using twice as much RAM? Is this true? Or is it just misunderstanding arising from 64 bit using twice as many CPU registers to increase its own speed? Or something else? My main system running 32 bit 11.4 has 4GB RAM and is consistently using >50% of RAM for open apps, most of the rest for disk cache, and always around 360MB unused. Would running 64 bit on this system be consuming virtually all RAM for apps, leaving little free for disk cache?

FWIW, not all RAM is "cheap". To bring this DDR2 system up to its 8GB max would cost ~$63USD. To replace its 2X2GB sticks with 2X4GB (to free them for RAM upgrade to another system) would cost triple that.

Felix Miata *** http://fm.no-ip.com/