Re: [opensuse] Hopefully, a non-biased question.....................
  • From: C <smaug42@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 17 Jul 2013 09:12:05 +0200
On Wed, Jul 17, 2013 at 7:19 AM, Basil Chupin wrote:
On 17/07/13 13:08, Duaine Hechler wrote:

I am currently working with a guy that is interested in switching to Linux
from Winbloze.

Since most of my experience is with KDE, I thought I would suggest
openSUSE or Mint (with KDE).

For a new user, what would be the "better" and/or more "stable" distro ?

TIA, Duaine

For my money I would suggest openSUSE if for no other reason than YOU are
using it and therefore can readily help him with any problem he may
encounter during the 'learning' curve while he is weaned off M$. You both
will be "talking the same language", so to speak, when he wants to know
something.

He will also have a massive amount of knowledge in this mail list to fall
back on for any help (I have seen some of the other distro mail lists and
none compare to this one).

Don't forget the forums as well. I'd hazard to say that a LOT more
new users are helped on the forums than the mailing lists (the MLs
being more or less the tool for us old farts that have been tinkering
with openSUSE for ages).

Seconded for going with openSUSE for the same reasons Basil stated.
Ultimately it matters little if someone uses openSUSE, Mint or
whatever. Where supporting people becomes challenging is when you're
used to one distro's way of working and have to try and help people on
another. You know openSUSE and KDE, so for making the transition for
the guy you're working with easier... going with what you know is the
best choice.

C.
--
openSUSE 12.3 x86_64, KDE 4.10