Re: [opensuse] fldigi with SuSE 12.3
  • From: Rodney Baker <rodney.baker@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 13 Jul 2013 00:30:59 +0930
On Thu, 11 Jul 2013 15:15:28 Marcus Meissner wrote:
On Thu, Jul 11, 2013 at 10:13:48PM +0930, Rodney Baker wrote:
On Thu, 11 Jul 2013 08:16:16 Damon Register wrote:
Earlier this week I installed fldigi on my PC that is running SuSE 12.3.
It seems to work ok in the root account but when I try to run under a
regular user account, a window opens briefly and then the program
closes.
I tried starting by typing fldigi in a terminal window to see if I could
get any meaningful messages about the failure. I don't remember the
exact
message but it appears that it is a permission problem with the sound
card.

Does anyone have experience with fldigi and how to get the correct sound
card permission?

Damon Register

Damon,

Is your user a member of the Audio group?

This should be done via ACLs for the logged in users (via
COnsoleKit/systemd-login and udev-acl)

That must be new. It sounds a lot more complex than ticknig a checkbox under
"Users and Groups" in Yast, or even "usermod -Ga <group(s)> <username>".

What is the "preferred" alternative method now?

Knowing the exact error message would be a start.

Ciao, Marcus

If you're running pulse-audio then it may be the 'pulse' and/or 'pulse-access'
group membership that is necessary.