Re: [opensuse] Ideas on network prioritization?
  • From: Per Jessen <per@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 12 Jul 2013 09:02:12 +0200
Marc Chamberlin wrote:

Hi - I am running openSuSE12.3 on my gateway computer for my SOHO
network. We have a number of hybrid cell phones around here that can
connect either via our wireless network using VOIP to connect to other
telephones or they can use the phone companies regular 3G network (but
we are discouraged from doing so in order to keep costs down). We
noticed that when using the WiFi connection, we often get a lot of
dropouts and broken/lost connections, particularly when heavy network
traffic such as backups are going on. My question is this, Is there
any way to prioritize network traffic such that when a cell phone
conversation is going on, that cell phone is given higher priority
over all other network traffic?

Yes, you should look into to using tc = 'traffic control'. It is
somewhat complex, but I have (in the past) used it successfully to
guarantee/reserve bandwidth for VOIP traffic on our internet uplink. It
ought to work just as well for wifi.

http://www.tldp.org/HOWTO/Traffic-Control-HOWTO/

There maybe something better or newer out there, I have not used tc for
the last two-three years.

--
Per Jessen, Zürich (17.6°C)