Re: [opensuse] Kate unusable in 12.3 via ssh remote login
On 7/9/2013 12:43 PM, Lew Wolfgang wrote:
Hi Folks,

I have a user who's been happily using kate on a remote machine
using ssh -X or -Y to forward the X ports. The machine was running
openSuSE 11.3 64-bit.

But I pulled a fresh install on the remote box this weekend, going
to 12.3 64-bit, and the user reports that kate is now unusable. It
opens okay, but text input shows about a 1-second lag before being echoed on
the local screen. It seems to be only kate that's doing this, I tried text
input with
remote Libreoffice, Firefox, Gimp and kcalc, xterm, all of which work okay.
Kate works well
on the directly attached console, and I can replicate the effect on another
12.3
install. Remote kate is unusable at this point for him on any 12.3 install.

ssh -Y localhost, then running kate locally, mostly works okay. There's a
tiny keystroke
lag. This kind of smells like an overly chatty X session where round-trip
packet
transit times add up. The network to the remote machine is Gig-E all the way.

Has anyone seen anything like this? I'll post a bug report later.

Regards,
Lew

Same here. Its is absolutely unusable across a ssh link (same network).
Yet using the same Client and connecting to a different 11.2 machine i works
perfectly.

kwrite works fine (or at least acceptably), as does the tea text editor.
Post the bug report and I'll "Me Too" it.