Re: [opensuse] Old desktop that won't boot with cards in it
On 2013-07-08 18:50 (GMT-0500) Jeffrey L. Taylor composed:

I have an approximately 12 year old Desktop from Pogo Linux. It has an Abit
N7 mother board with an AMD Athlon CPU, an AGP graphics card, and PCI slots
for peripheral cards. It has sat in storage long enough that the CMOS battery
went dead. It will boot only with no PCI cards installed. I've tried each,
two different models of Ethernet interfaces and a Creative sound card. If any
are plugged in, it will not even show the BIOS splash screen.

Does this ring any bells with anyone?

Quite common among old puters. You should try cleaning out any dust or dead roaches or spiders both where you can and cannot see, reseating RAM, only a single RAM stick at a time, new battery, clear CMOS according to manual, and if none of it works, another power supply. Sounds like power supply has gone out of spec. Before wasting any time on anything else, check for bad caps in PS and on motherboard: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Capacitor_plague

Felix Miata *** http://fm.no-ip.com/