[opensuse] shell script help
Anyone know a good source of examples for dweebs who can't remember from one scripting writing session to the next anything new learned to get a task done, and requires examples rather than reading man pages to understand anything unfamiliar?

I have a script containing among other things the following:

grep 'using VT' /var/log/Xorg.0.log
head -n7 /var/log/Xorg.0.log
grep Output /var/log/Xorg.0.log | egrep -v 'disconnected|no monitor'

This works fine as long as it's run on a default X session, but not otherwise. I need to substitute for each "0" in the above strings the value of the actual display in use, which happens to be the last of the two visible characters of $DISPLAY. I tried to figure out if I could somehow apply the cut command to $DISPLAY, but got nowhere via its man page. Is what I want to do a for loop task? Can anyone here help with this seemingly simple goal?

Felix Miata *** http://fm.no-ip.com/