Re: [opensuse] SSD and smartctl: Percentage Used Endurance Indicator: 34 ?
On Sat, 06 Jul 2013 12:48:42 +0200
MarkusGMX <Markus.Egg@xxxxxx> wrote:

(rev 1) == 7 0x008 1 34~ Percentage Used Endurance
manpage says:
"ssd - [SCSI] prints the Solid State Media percentage used endurance
indicator. A value of 0 indicates as new condition while 100
indicates the device is at the end of its lifetime as
projected by the manufacturer. The value may reach 255."

How accurate is this?

Note "projected by the manufacturer" is not defined in any way that
will tell us how to understand that 34%. Although:

http://www.crucial.com/pdf/Tech_specs-letter_Crucial_m4_ssd_v3-11-11_online.pdf

tells that 128GB model has 72TB endurance, which translates to 40GB
per day during 5 years. In other words if smartctl reads data correctly
then you used in last 2 years 24.5 TB writes, or 33.5 GB per day (730
days) which from where I stand can be called a heavy usage.

Does that mean, that 34% of the SSDs lifetime is already over?

Maybe. See above.

... ~6 years is that the normal lifespan of SSDs nowadays?

It can be even shorter with heavier usage.

With my usage it will be more likely that smartctl reads something
wrong, or something is happening that should not, crating such high
number of erase/writes cycles.

Are there other tests for Linux which tell me more about the health
of this SSD?

Not that I know, but I'm new SSD owner with no really much experience
with SSD.

What you can do is to check your partition mount options. Other already
elaborated on that, but there is one that is probably missing -
"discard".

Check as root does your disk support TRIM:

hdparm -I /dev/sdX | grep -i TRIM

(X is a drive letter)

and if yes enable it with option "discard".

http://en.opensuse.org/SDB:SSD_discard_%28trim%29_support#Kernel_support

Article is a bit old, but even 12.3 does not enable discard by default.
Just checked 'mount' and neither root of the file system, not /home have
enabled option "discard".

How to enable is another question:

https://en.opensuse.org/SDB:SSD_performance

which is pretty new, has a lot of advices, but may have some advices
that don't apply for newer computer with a lot of memory (about having
swap on classic disc).

best regards
ME

--