Re: [opensuse] SSD and smartctl: Percentage Used Endurance Indicator: 34 ?
  • From: "Carlos E. R." <robin.listas@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 6 Jul 2013 20:17:48 +0200 (CEST)

On Saturday, 2013-07-06 at 08:43 -0500, Billie Walsh wrote:

I don't claim to be any kind of expert and had to do some googling to see what this was about. It seems that flash based SSD's have a write limit somewhere in the range of 2,000 to 3,000 before failure. What that equates to in time I have no idea. Dram based SSD's don't have this limit. It also seems that a big bug-a-boo is the onboard controler.

The wikipedia article on flash media talks of up to a million cycles.

I also came up with a lifertime for a mechanical hard drive. It appears that after about six years of use your on borrowed time. They seem to have a lifetimes of somewhere in the range 6 to 9 years. I'm sure that how you use your computer has a lot to do with the life of the hard drive. I'm probably amongst the hardest on them as I hardly ever turn off my computer [ Desktops ].

You have to look at the hours of use, not the years. On a laptop it seems that 4000 to 6000 may be the limit, whereas on a desktop 10000 to 20000 is typical (mine have 12000).

- -- Cheers,
Carlos E. R.