Re: [opensuse] SSD and smartctl: Percentage Used Endurance Indicator: 34 ?
Am 06/07/13 14:00, schrieb Carlos E. R.:
[...]
On Saturday, 2013-07-06 at 12:48 +0200, MarkusGMX wrote:

How accurate is this?

I guess that pretty accurate.

Ok.

Does that mean, that 34% of the SSDs lifetime is already over?

Yep, I think so.

:-/
I thought that SSDs may last a bit longer...

I do have /var with leafnode/usenet (lot of small files written) on that SSD
but what I read on the net this shouldn't be a problem and approx. 2 years
is not that much of lifetime. If that all is correct it would mean, that
after another 4 years I have to exchange the SSD.

Yep.

~6 years is that the normal lifespan of SSDs nowadays?

It is not based in time of use, but in actual usage. Flash media,
including SSD, have a limited number of write operation allowed. After
that, they are no longer usable.

Ok, so with the current average usage there will only be something like another 4 years.
Good to know.

Are there some possibilies that smartctl may warn me at
-say- "90~ Percentage Used Endurance Indicator" without making my own cron job and some script?

You can increase the odds. Be sure to mount "noatime", for instance.

Currently on this SSD:
swap is on this SSD
/boot ext4 acl,user_xattr 1 2
/var ext4 acl,user_xattr 1 2
/windows/B ntfs-3g fmask=133,dmask=022,locale=en_GB.UTF-8 0 0
where /windows/B is the 100MB boot partition of Windows 7

The mounting options were done by SuSE 12.1 out of the box.

Most of the access/write will be /var and swap I assume.
/boot and /windows/B won't be much writing but that doesn't
matter if the SSD fails.
:-(

So the /var needs a noatime in /etc/fstab ?
Is there some possible improvement for swap ?
Does the newer SuSE 12.3 improve the mounting options for SSDs when installing 12.3 ?

Are there other tests for Linux which tell me more about the health of this
SSD?

This is not really a test; it is the disk itself who is telling you that
parameter about itself.

So it has to be somehow accurate.

Best regards and thanks for your time
ME