[opensuse] SSD and smartctl: Percentage Used Endurance Indicator: 34 ?
I tried smartctl on my SSD with
smartctl -l ssd /dev/sda

and got:
smartctl 6.0 2012-10-10 r3643 [x86_64-linux-3.1.10-1.19-desktop] (SUSE RPM)
Copyright (C) 2002-12, Bruce Allen, Christian Franke, www.smartmontools.org

Device Statistics (GP Log 0x04)
Page Offset Size Value Description
7 ===== = = == Solid State Device Statistics (rev 1) ==
7 0x008 1 34~ Percentage Used Endurance Indicator
|_ ~ normalized value

manpage says:
"ssd - [SCSI] prints the Solid State Media percentage used endurance
indicator. A value of 0 indicates as new condition while 100
indicates the device is at the end of its lifetime as projected by
the manufacturer. The value may reach 255."

How accurate is this?

Does that mean, that 34% of the SSDs lifetime is already over?
I do have /var with leafnode/usenet (lot of small files written) on that SSD but what I read on the net this shouldn't be a problem and approx. 2 years
is not that much of lifetime. If that all is correct it would mean, that after
another 4 years I have to exchange the SSD.
~6 years is that the normal lifespan of SSDs nowadays?

Are there other tests for Linux which tell me more about the health of this SSD?

best regards
ME