Re: [opensuse] IPv6 - do you use SLAAC or DHCP ?
  • From: Per Jessen <per@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 02 Jul 2013 20:44:26 +0200
James Knott wrote:

Per Jessen wrote:

James Knott wrote:

Per Jessen wrote:
but the only truly dynamic
devices I have are phones and pads etc.
Even my Android smart phone and tablet use both SLAAC & random
addresses.
Yes, I figure that's what I'll be doing as well.

Hmmm, I guess running both SLAAC and DHCP isn't that easy. Once I
started the RA daemon on the main router/firewall, every box on the
network got a global IPv6 address. I guess I have to configure them
individually to use DHCP. In fact, I don't want any automatic IPv6
assignment for existing boxes - this would mean IPv6 traffic where
none existed before, I can think of scripts and apps that may very
well choke on that.

Why are you bothering with DHCP6? It's really not needed, unless you
want to provide IPv6 server addresses to clients.

That is primarily what my current DHCP4 setup does - provides static
addresses to servers. Plus default route, ntp options and any static
routes needed. It's mostly a way of keeping the config central. I'm
possibly just thinking in old ways too much.

As I mentioned, it's easy enough to add IPv6 addresses to DNS

But when they're randomly generated even for well-known clients, how is
my DNS updated?

or hosts file, so you don't have to worry about typing in an IPv6
address.

I would still like to be able to recognize them in logs etc. With
ip6?tables, tcpdump and such I'd also still want to recognize them in.
For a server that has nnn.nn.2.49 today, I was thinking of assigning
2001:db8:1020:ff1::1:2049 - no problem with DHCP6.

On my network, I use the SLAAP addresses as mention. I use manual
configuration for anything that's permanently attached to my network,
for things like NTP & DNS server.

Okay. How do you prevent those servers from getting a randomly generated
IPv6 address?

Other devices, such as my smart phone, tablet and notebook computer
use DHCP to get the IPv4 address for those servers. Everything
just works well and uses IPv6 whenever possible. It sounds like
you're making work for yourself, when you don't have to.

I agree, that is entirely possible.

--
Per Jessen, Zürich (19.2°C)