Re: [opensuse] IMAP issues on openSUSE 12.3
  • From: Rodney Baker <rodney.baker@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 02 Jul 2013 01:11:58 +0930
On Mon, 1 Jul 2013 17:00:24 Roger Oberholtzer wrote:

[...]
I expect mail to arrive from a single remote via SMTP, be handled by
postfix, who delivers mail to procmail, who sorts things into a user's
Maildir folder. All access of mail is via IMAP. As I have on my older
openSUSE system.

Exactly what I do with dovecot, sendmail, spamassassin and postfix, except
that I also use fetchmail to collect mail from 3 different external accounts
and deliver them to local mailboxes for 2 different users. And it "just
works(TM)". I have had the same setup running from 10.3 to 12.3 (and Fedora
Core 5 - 9 before switching to openSuSE), and now I've moved it off the
desktop machine and onto a Raspberry Pi (running raspbian, based on Debian
"wheezy") and it "just works(TM)" there too. Same setup, same configs.

[It was admittedly a challenge getting spamassassin to not have the load
average constantly sitting above 30 on the rasbpi, but switching to spamd and
using compiled rulesets did the trick - it now ticks along at around 0.01 -
0.02].

Configuring sendmail was a no-brainer - years ago I found a script called
"install-sendmail-6.0" which automates the whole thing and takes care of the
common security holes caused by misconfiguration.

At least my mail server is something I've never had to worry about breaking...