Re: [opensuse] IPv6 - do you use SLAAC or DHCP ?
  • From: Per Jessen <per@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 01 Jul 2013 14:57:58 +0200
James Knott wrote:

Per Jessen wrote:
Just wondering, which method do you use? It seems to me that using
SLAAC will produce some pretty difficult-to-recognize addresses, so
for now I've got a DHCP6 setup.

I normally use SLAAC, but also have random number addresses enabled.
It's easy enough to add the SLAAC addresses to a hosts file or DNS.
The random number addresses came about because some people had
security concerns about using the MAC address. You can configure
computers to use either or both, as well as manual configuration and
DHCP6. The random address is fine if you're not running servers, but
you need some static method if you are.

Thanks James - yes, I am running servers, but the only truly dynamic
devices I have are phones and pads etc.

If you have both IPv4 and IPv6 addresses for a computer,
list the IPv6 first in the hosts file, so that it gets priority.

I don't use the hosts file anywhere, but I think IPv6 is given priority
by default (by way of /etc/gai.conf).

--
Per Jessen, Zürich (22.5°C)