Re: [opensuse] IPv6 - do you use SLAAC or DHCP ?
Per Jessen wrote:
Just wondering, which method do you use? It seems to me that using
SLAAC will produce some pretty difficult-to-recognize addresses, so for
now I've got a DHCP6 setup.

I normally use SLAAC, but also have random number addresses enabled.
It's easy enough to add the SLAAC addresses to a hosts file or DNS. The
random number addresses came about because some people had security
concerns about using the MAC address. You can configure computers to
use either or both, as well as manual configuration and DHCP6. The
random address is fine if you're not running servers, but you need some
static method if you are. On my home network, I'm running dnsmasq, so
all I have to do is add the host names and addresses to the host file on
that computer and then restart dnsmasq. I also use an external DNS for
when I'm away from home. If you have both IPv4 and IPv6 addresses for a
computer, list the IPv6 first in the hosts file, so that it gets priority.

BTW, that random number address also changes periodically.