Re: [opensuse] Thunderbird and IMAP folders
  • From: Per Jessen <per@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 30 Jun 2013 10:21:38 +0200
Bob Williams wrote:

My ISP recently had a hardware failure of the machine my messages are
stored on. They have rebuilt it from backup, but now Thunderbird shows
everything in my Inbox, whereas before my extensive set of filters
would divert messages into separate folders. The folder hierarchy was
under the ISP account, not Local Folders. I do not have Serverside
folders with this account.

"The folder hierarchy was under the ISP account" <> "I do not have
Serverside folders with this account." ??

I presume I'll have to recreate the original folder structure. I know
the usual mantra is "Why not try it?", but I don't want to mess things
further if the ISP will eventually restore my folder structure.

If your data/email is intact, it seems pretty odd for the ISP not to
have restored your folder hierarchy.

I don't quite understand the difference between serverside
filtering/folders, locally created folders under an email account, and
local folders under 'Local Folders'. The last one seems to delete the
mail from the remote server, which is not what I want.

server side means your folders are stored on the server, not on your
local machine. Same for the filtering.

--
Per Jessen, Zürich (15.6°C)