Re: [opensuse] Thunderbird and IMAP folders
On 6/29/2013 5:20 AM, Bob Williams wrote:
My ISP recently had a hardware failure of the machine my messages are
stored on. They have rebuilt it from backup, but now Thunderbird shows
everything in my Inbox, whereas before my extensive set of filters
would divert messages into separate folders. The folder hierarchy was
under the ISP account, not Local Folders. I do not have Serverside
folders with this account.

I presume I'll have to recreate the original folder structure. I know
the usual mantra is "Why not try it?", but I don't want to mess things
further if the ISP will eventually restore my folder structure.

I don't quite understand the difference between serverside
filtering/folders, locally created folders under an email account, and
local folders under 'Local Folders'. The last one seems to delete the
mail from the remote server, which is not what I want.

Bob

Thunderbird's handling of Imap has always been suspect if you ask me.
I have several Imap accounts where Thunderbird simply refuses to honor
IDLED capabilities of the surver, and stops checking mail.

Check with your ISP and ask them if they are done. If not, I'd hold
out a few days.

In Thunderbird, periodically select the account name line in the list of
accounts, then select Advanced Features, Manage Folders Subscriptions
and hit the refresh button to see if your server-side folders reappear.

If they say that WYSIWYG, and they don't intend to try to recover
your folders, (first find a new ISP), then go ahead and re-create your directory
structures. Use the same exact names as before and your filters should
work again.

Side note:-------------------

If you have always and only used the default Thunderbird install, then your
filters would be expected to to be on your machine, because the default
install does not manage server side filters.

However, some other mail clients DO properly handle server side filters,
and there is a add on to Thunderbird to handle server side Sieve filters.
https://addons.mozilla.org/en-us/thunderbird/addon/sieve/

Server side filters are better than client side filters, especially
when you read mail at more than one machine or with more than one
client.

Without server side filters only one machine is able to filter messages,
and if you read that account with another machine (or your phone) the
mail would not be filtered properly into folders.

So if your ISP supports Sieve, you might want to consider converting your
filters to ServerSide filters.