Re: [opensuse] Is this a Firefox bug?
On Sat, 29 Jun 2013 07:36:17 -0400
Anton Aylward wrote:

Since the ... maybe upgrade yo kde4.10.4 or something else in the
regular updates, but before the system upgrade 12.2->12.3 ..

Sometimes .. only sometimes ...

When I click on a URL in Thunderbird to go to that like in Firefox
there is a small pause, a freeze while the pointer won't move and
then the screen turns to hash. At that point the machine is
dead-locked up. Can't hot-key to another screen/activity, can't
telnet or ssh into it, it doesn't respond to pings.

So I wonder, is this a problem with
-- Firefox
-- KDE4
-- X or the video driver.

MozillaFirefox-21.0-1.18.1.i586
MozillaFirefox-branding-openSUSE-21-2.5.1.i586

libkde4-4.10.4-10.2.i586
kdebase4-openSUSE-12.3-10.41.9.i586
kdebase4-runtime-branding-openSUSE-12.3-4.2.i586
kdebase4-workspace-4.10.4-14.1.i586
kdebase4-nsplugin-4.10.4-341.1.i586
kdebase4-openSUSE-12.3-4.2.i586
kde4-filesystem-4.10.4-218.1.i586
kdelibs4-core-4.10.4-10.2.i586
mozilla-kde4-integration-0.6.4-2.1.1.i586
kdebase4-runtime-4.10.4-431.1.i586
kdebase4-session-4.10.4-60.1.noarch
kdebase4-openSUSE-12.3-4.2.i586
kdebase4-openSUSE-12.3-4.2.i586
kdebase4-openSUSE-lang-12.3-4.2.noarch
kdelibs4-4.10.4-10.2.i586
kdebase4-workspace-liboxygenstyle-4.10.4-14.1.i586
kdebase4-workspace-branding-openSUSE-12.3-4.2.i586

xorg-x11-server-7.6_1.13.2-1.5.1.i586
xorg-x11-driver-video-nouveau-1.0.6-2.1.1.i586

# lspci | grep VGA
00:0d.0 VGA compatible controller: NVIDIA Corporation C61 [GeForce
6100 nForce 405] (rev a2)

I see that "over 500 bugs" were fixed in the upgrade from .21 to .22
of firefox. I can't see that "obviously" this is one of them.

Hi Anton,

I like Felix's answer, too, but in my 27 years experience with this
crazy stuff any virtually instantaneous 'dead lock' like you've just
described is almost certainly happening at the hardware, firmware,
kernel, modules/drivers level. The pointer freeze coincident with the
'hashed' screen, in my mind, almost nails it down to the graphics
hardware, the driver module and/or the configuration (a lot less
likely.)

If possible, I'd roll nouveau back to the last known 'reliably
working' (in that system) release or temporarily install the proprietary
counterpart, just to see if the problem 'evaporates.' In parallel, I'd
be pursuing diagnostic / stress testing of the graphics adapter and
it's memory as well as the mainboard and it's memory.

Are you monitoring CPU, GPU and other critical system temperatures?
Could be an invisible correlation there -- it's summer where I am. Is
the system on protected / conditioned power? Any electrical storms
recently? :-)

Good luck!

Carl