Re: [opensuse] Re: Any chance of convincing Gimp to consider a .png as a valid saved image?
  • From: C <smaug42@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 20 Jun 2013 10:32:18 +0200
On Thu, Jun 20, 2013 at 6:24 AM, Doug wrote:
I downloaded the file from one of the original messages as it appeared
in my browser, and placed it in Kate with the filename
gimp_plug-in_file and I did a diff between that and the
save-export-clean.py file that I downloaded iaw the directions, as I
said. diff reports that the files are identical. I also restarted the
computer from a warm start and rebooted the system and tried the whole
thing again. No change.

--doug

Hi
OK, if you open a terminal and start gimp from there, any error
messages appearing?

OPened the program via kdesu gimp--gave the root password--Gimp came
up, now with the 3 panels, which it hasn't done from the PC menu. But no
error messages, and no "save/export clean" either.

What version of Gimp is in your PCLinuxOS install? The directory to
place your plug-ins in is specific to your Gimp install version. The
instructions I provided were valid only for Gimp 2.8 with openSUSE
12.3. If PCLinuxOS is using some other version of Gimp or names the
.gimp<version> directory differently, you will have to adapt the steps
accordingly.

Why.. why would you run Gimp as root? That's not a good idea.. and
totally unnecessary. The reason Gimp came up with 3 panels is because
you launched it as root, and it defaulted back to the original default
settings (3 panel vs 1 window).

Simplified more generic instructions:

1. Exit Gimp
2. Copy the Python plugin to .gimp<version>/plug-ins (or whatever the
"dot" directory is in your User home for your version of Gimp)
3. Make the Python script executable
4. Start Gimp

The new menu item will be File > Save/Export Clean

C.
--
openSUSE 12.3 x86_64, KDE 4.10