Re: [opensuse] Any chance of convincing Gimp to consider a .png as a valid saved image?
On 2013-06-19 21:57, C wrote:
On Wed, Jun 19, 2013 at 9:43 PM, Carlos E. R. wrote:
Any chance of changing this behavior? It is disruptive. :-/

The XCF format contains all the layers, masks, and pathing info among
many other things. It's the default file format for a good reason...
but it's only helpful if you're really using the full capabilities of
Gimp.

Which I usually don't :-)

What I typically do is scan something, and save using gimp to see the
final result. I can, for example, save as jpg choosing the compress
ratio watching what detail is lost, and select the appropriate
compromise. For this I do not need the complexities of xcf, it is not
"the final product".

Other times I go for png. Often what I want is djvu, which gimp doesn't
create nor read. I have to use png, then convert externally, then delete
the png.

Only a few times I use xcf, and I find it lacking!

For example, I converted a document the other day changing the red, blue
and green curves to improve the readability of the hand-script, in false
colour. But the xcf doesn't seem to save the curves so that I can change
them later, nor the undo history.

Thus, XCF is lacking features for me >:-P

You can export to just about any other format under the sun using File >
Export.

The Gimp devs aren't going to change this XFC setting. They made a
choice and are sticking with it.

It should be configurable, devs should not make those choices for us.

Using File > Export isn't too difficult, but as you say, you do have
to remember if you've saved it or not.

No, it is not difficult, but you have to keep track. The thing says that
if you are sure, that you are going to destroy your work... which is not
true.

That extension is just it.

--
Cheers / Saludos,