Re: [opensuse] ssytemd and openSUSE
On Wed, Jun 19, 2013 at 10:22:21AM +0400, Andrey Borzenkov wrote:
On Wed, Jun 19, 2013 at 10:02 AM, Per Jessen <per@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
5) is consistent when one is dealing with multiple systems.

We really ought to retain the option for the user to use the existing
scheme of renaming at start up.

Just stick with unified naming space that dies not conflict with
kernel one, as was already done for other devices. udev no more
supports renaming of sda to sdb. Why it should support renaming of
eth0 to eth1?

Simply because to avoid trouble with random interface names as I've
detected with bug #809843. This is the reason why systemd has now
a patch 1006-udev-always-rename-network.patch as this avoids this.

Using net0, net1, etc. It is even easier to pronounce than eth :)

Hmmm ... I'm aware that systemd/udev upstream tend to break with
traditions but IMHO net<number> isn't very helpful in the daily work
of an system admin ... eth<number> show me more than net<number> ...

/home/werner> ifconfig | awk '/^[a-z]/ {print $1}'
br0
br1
dsl0
eth0
eth1
lo
tun0

now if this becomes net0 upto net6

Even better would be support for interface aliasing. There were
patches floating around.

Werner