Re: [opensuse] ssytemd and openSUSE
  • From: Andrey Borzenkov <arvidjaar@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 19 Jun 2013 10:22:21 +0400
On Wed, Jun 19, 2013 at 10:02 AM, Per Jessen <per@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

The current enumeration of network interfaces ...

1) overall works very well

You are preaching to the wrong chore. Do you really believe that
naming scheme was changed just to annoy users? Please discuss it on
linux-hotplug list if you have convincing arguments that it was wrong
decision.

Linux is not the only operating system where device names changed from
release to release.

2) is integrated into everything else
3) corresponds to the style of enumeration we're used to working with
in linux

I have wlan0 on my notebook. My customer systems I have to support
have bond, vlanXXX and something more. So even now there is no unified
"style of enumeration".

3a) corresponds to the style of enumeration used by the manufacturer

Sorry? Who manufactures Linux?

4) is easy to pronounce

For English native speakers. Others may not even know how to pronounce
those letters at all.

5) is consistent when one is dealing with multiple systems.

We really ought to retain the option for the user to use the existing
scheme of renaming at start up.

Just stick with unified naming space that dies not conflict with
kernel one, as was already done for other devices. udev no more
supports renaming of sda to sdb. Why it should support renaming of
eth0 to eth1?

Using net0, net1, etc. It is even easier to pronounce than eth :)

Even better would be support for interface aliasing. There were
patches floating around.