Re: [opensuse] ssytemd and openSUSE
  • From: Robin Klitscher <robin.klitscher@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 18 Jun 2013 10:30:18 +1200
On 18/06/13 06:33, Greg Freemyer wrote:
On Mon, Jun 17, 2013 at 11:57 AM, Istvan Gabor <suseuser04@xxxxxxx> wrote:

I see there are plenty of messages on this list related to systemd, and systemd
related issues.
For me this fact indicates that systemd is not matured and stable enough to be
included in a RELEASE
as default and standard.

No, it indicates there is a learning curve. Almost anything worth
using has a learning curve if the job at hand is complex.

I'm a fairly heavy desktop openSUSE user the last couple years. I've
had no issues with systemd. In general it just works. My biggest
complaint is that Yast is not integrated into the systemd ecosystem,
so I "assume" one would have problems enabling / disabling services
via yast. I don't do that on my laptop, so I've been fine.

If I ran 12.3 on server, I need to find out how to do that without
that help of Yast. Not a big deal, but I admit to having been spoiled
by yast's knowledge of sys5init config files.

The good news is that yast is likely to be released with python source
for 13.1, so devs that know python can start hacking on it again and
bring it back up to speed. I have no idea if 13.1 will see systemd
knowledge in yast or not.

Greg

Absolutely! One of the more sensible posts in these threads, if I may be so bold.

I'm neither developer nor sysadmin. Just a Linux desktop user (15 years plus); not a guru of any sort.

In the process of taking oS forward - a necessity if it is to survive or even to be usable for the great unwashed like me - the sky hasn't fallen in so far.

Systemd in my usage has given me no troubles at all, and neither has grub2. If there are faults beyond birthpangs they are not obvious to me. They are certainly not showstoppers.

And I'm also very happy to see that yast2 will be given the attention it needs.

Keep up the good work. Here's to progress!

--
Robin K
Wellington "Harbour City"