Re: [opensuse] Systemd says: systemd-modules-load.service failed
  • From: "Carlos E. R." <robin.listas@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 17 Jun 2013 11:00:52 +0200 (CEST)

On Sunday, 2013-06-16 at 15:19 -0400, Cristian Rodríguez wrote:

btw, MODULES_LOADED_ON_BOOT should not be used..

For example, let's say you have need module "foobar" there, otherwise your system misses functionality. this are the correct steps to follow :-)

1. Make sure it is not a kernel, udev or a bug in an application, the best way to ensure that is to fill a bug report, the worst thing that could occur is the bug getting marked as INVALID.

2. in the meanwhile the bug gets fixed, issue echo "foobar" > /etc/modules-load.d/foobar.conf and "foobar" will be loaded at boot next time.

PS: I would argue that having to load a module this way to make any application work is always a bug, no exceptions ;)

Well...

In this machine, besides the upgraded work partition from 12.1 to 12.3 I have another one with a 12.3 freshly installed. This one created "/etc/sysconfig/kernel", and it contains:

INITRD_MODULES="pata_jmicron ata_piix ata_generic"

MODULES_LOADED_ON_BOOT=""

I assume that the first entry is needed, for the correct initrd to be created. What I don't know is where is the logic to decide that parts of /usr (a separate partition) is copied to initrd.

- -- Cheers,
Carlos E. R.

< Previous Next >