Re: [opensuse] RE: Stability of systemd
  • From: Per Jessen <per@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 17 Jun 2013 08:50:57 +0200
Anton Aylward wrote:

Per Jessen said the following on 06/16/2013 08:37 AM:
Anton Aylward wrote:

Sysvinit may not scale well to really huge machines, but that's a
problem I will never have to worry about.

Indeed, since the really massive machines are going to be running
AIX or HP/UX or - drum roll, please - VM/CMS.

It probably depends on one's understanding of "really massive
machines", but 94% of the TOP500 runs Linux.

http://www.linux.com/news/enterprise/high-performance/147-high-performance/666669-94-percent-of-the-worlds-top-500-supercomputers-run-linux-

I meant massive individual machines, not massive clusters of commodity
PCs.

I also meant massive machine that people like us are likely to use in
our day jobs, the AIX, HP/UX and 'mainframes' that either run a
proprietary OS or a version of UNIX specific to that architecture.

Personally speaking, the most massive single box I'm likely to see is
probably an HP box with 48 cores and a terabyte of RAM.

I look forward to the day when IBM moves to Linux would love to admin
one of IBM's mini-mainframes, those things about the size of a bar
fridge or small stove which run many thousand virtual instances of
Linux :-)

Where have you been for the last 10 years? :-) 10+ years ago I ran a
program for a <large US software firm>, promoting Linux on 390. I
wrote sufficient floating-point support in Hercules to run Java on
Linux/390 on Hercules.
I honestly don't know the state of things today, I've been away from
that field for too long, but IBM made that move to Linux long ago.

--
Per Jessen, Zürich (21.4°C)