Re: [opensuse] RE: Stability of systemd
Per Jessen said the following on 06/16/2013 08:37 AM:
Anton Aylward wrote:

Sysvinit may not scale well to really huge machines, but that's a
problem I will never have to worry about.

Indeed, since the really massive machines are going to be running AIX
or HP/UX or - drum roll, please - VM/CMS.

It probably depends on one's understanding of "really massive machines",
but 94% of the TOP500 runs Linux.

http://www.linux.com/news/enterprise/high-performance/147-high-performance/666669-94-percent-of-the-worlds-top-500-supercomputers-run-linux-

I meant massive individual machines, not massive clusters of commodity PCs.

I also meant massive machine that people like us are likely to use in our day jobs, the AIX, HP/UX and 'mainframes' that either run a proprietary OS or a version of UNIX specific to that architecture.

I look forward to the day when IBM moves to Linux would love to admin one of IBM's mini-mainframes, those things about the size of a bar fridge or small stove which run many thousand virtual instances of Linux :-)

One client ran a room full of HP 9000s, another ran a dozen T500s-HP/UX to replace a couple of large Amdahl boxes. These latter were using PA-RISC 7000 chips. Reminiscent of the big SUN servers. Oh, and the big RISC based AIX boxes. I used them too, with a a room full of RAID doing what is now called "big data" analysis. Yes, I know, commodity today is blade servers and lots of vmware VDI Windows instances. *sigh*

--
"I observe that there is a good deal of German music on the programme, which is rather more to my taste than Italian or French. It is introspective, and I want to introspect."
-- Sherlock Holmes, in "The Red Headed League"