Re: [opensuse] systemd hides important information for diagnosis of rsyslog.
В Sat, 15 Jun 2013 09:35:37 +0400
Andrey Borzenkov <arvidjaar@xxxxxxxxx> пишет:

В Thu, 13 Jun 2013 18:46:51 -0400
Cristian Rodríguez <crrodriguez@xxxxxxxxxxxx> пишет:

El 13/06/13 17:56, Carlos E. R. escribió:

Why is not systemd logging this output?

Because:

1. that output is sent to stderr.

2. The unit file has StandardOutput=null as expected, otherwise a
feedback loop will ocurr (the messages emitted by rsyslog service
messages will be logged to the journal, which in turn will be forwarded
to the syslog socket, that will cause a request for a syslog
implementation to be activated..goto beggining :-) )

So you think it is better to completely remove any possibility to
find out why rsyslogd failed to start instead of rate-limiting number of
failed attempts?

Does not systemd already disables socket activation if service
failed to start several times in a sequence? Which would give user all
information needed to fix the problem and re-enable it?

Actually I tested behavior with and without disabling rsyslogd
stdout/stderr.

Both with and without StandardOutput=inherit in rsyslog if I have error
that prevents rsuslogd from starting I get exactly the same behavior -
systemd permanently attempts to restart syslog.service spending 50% CPU
in system and 50% CPU in user mode. Which is more or less obvious as
normal system has quite a lot of logging going on, so rsyslog does not
add anything significant here.

OTOH removing StandardOutput=inherit from rsyslog.conf allows me to
see, *WHY* it did not start:

journalctl -b /sbin/rsyslogd

-- Logs begin at Sat, 2013-06-15 10:12:46 MSK, end at Sat, 2013-06-15 10:17:02
MSK. --
Jun 15 10:14:35 linux-o0ic.site rsyslogd[1526]: rsyslogd: error during parsing
file /etc/rsyslog.d/dummy.conf, on or before line 1: syntax error on token '='
[try http://www.rsyslog.com/e/2207 ]
Jun 15 10:14:35 linux-o0ic.site rsyslogd[1526]: rsyslogd: CONFIG ERROR: could
not interpret master config file '/etc/rsyslog.conf'. [try
http://www.rsyslog.com/e/2207 ]
Jun 15 10:14:35 linux-o0ic.site rsyslogd[1526]: rsyslogd: run failed with error
-2207 (see rsyslog.h or try http://www.rsyslog.com/e/2207 to learn what that
number means)

(unfortunately those lines are not usually visible in "systemctl
status", not sure why).

So I fail to see any justification for suppressing rsyslog messages.
Carlos, I think it warrants bug report so it can be followed.

Additionally, it also demonstrates that systemd does not do any rate
limiting on socket-activated services. Which is bad actually.