Re: [opensuse] Do I have a rpm database corruption (OpenSUSE 12.3) (noobish)
On 2013-06-14 11:01, Lars Müller wrote:
On Fri, Jun 14, 2013 at 02:59:43AM +0200, Carlos E. R. wrote:

And afterwards you might be screwed even further. Why? Think you
installed fresh packages or updates in between.

I have been bitten by that :-)

a) fresh/ new packages got added

The binaries are still around but you never will get an update as the
rpm database doesn't know about.

True, you have to reinstall them, possibly database only rpm command.
For this, better have a look at the history zypper file.

In my case... I make an automated copy of all the rpms I install with
yast/zypper, so I could just run an "rpm install database only *rpm"
(correct incantation not searched).

b) packages got updated

In this case you'll get the already applied update again. This very
likely will not harm.

No, no harm. Just some time.

But /var/log/zypp/history might be of help. In combination with the
timestamp of the file from /var/adm/backup/rpmdb

Yes, indeed, take a note of the date, good idea. The history file is not
easily readable, so better reduce the region to look at.

--
Cheers / Saludos,

Carlos E. R.