Re: [opensuse] Re: XFS and openSUSE 12.1
  • From: Roger Oberholtzer <roger@xxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 13 Jun 2013 16:06:10 +0200
On 2013-06-13 12:59, Dave Howorth wrote:
Carlos E. R. wrote:

By the way, try not to use "fsync". It forces the kernel to write to
disk even if not convenient.

I think this is misguided advice. It is very important to use use fsync
to ensure that the data makes it onto the disk in order to ensure data
or whole files don't disappear.

Yes, of course the data must be written. But if we force the kernel to
write it now, we reduce overall performance. Just my opinion, but you
can make a run and compare.

The problem for me is not that the data may not get written. That seems
very stable. I would think that fsync would not really ne needed. As
indicated by my workaround that frees cache pages.

Yours sincerely,

Roger Oberholtzer

Ramböll RST / Systems

Office: Int +46 10-615 60 20