Re: [opensuse] Re: XFS and openSUSE 12.1
  • From: Per Jessen <per@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 12 Jun 2013 20:24:35 +0200
Roger Oberholtzer wrote:

On Wed, 2013-06-12 at 14:06 +0200, Per Jessen wrote:
Roger Oberholtzer wrote:

If you let your test app run, and the file it creates grow and
grow, how does the cache usage progress?

It stayed at about 1G.

Here is my test app, which tyies to capture the spirit of what the
real app is doing. It demonstrates the cache growing issue on both
12.1 and 12.3.

That is not the real issue though - the file system cache will grow to
max available on any system, without causing a problem. I think your
problem is described in the link that Andrey Borzenkov sent. Your app
needs a sustained, high IO-rate, and that is not quite what the
standard Linux settings are set for.

In the real app, the write calls are whatever the compression library
does. We used more than one and each does this differently: one does
lots of little fwrites, and one does bit chunks at a time. As they are
opened as FILE and thus buffered, I do not think the specific fwrites
makes a difference. It is the data rate,

I agree. See Andrey's posting.

--
Per Jessen, Zürich (25.9°C)