Re: [opensuse] Re: XFS and openSUSE 12.1
  • From: Roger Oberholtzer <roger@xxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 12 Jun 2013 16:02:10 +0200

On 2013-06-11 14:04, Roger Oberholtzer wrote:

I have no problem with this. I understand the concept of and
benefits of a cache. But what I do not understand is why, as the
cache grows (seemingly out of my control), the amount that waits to
be flushed to the disk grows, making each successive flush take
longer. Or at least this is what it looks like is happening. So,
when the OS has obtained, say, 24 GB of cache, each time it needs
to flush it takes longer as there is so much.

I don't think it is waiting to be flushed. It is cached so that the
next _read_ will come from memory. Yes, you will not read, but the
kernel doesn't know that.

+1

No argument here. But that does not mean the kernel should cache things
so that there are big delays dealing with these giant caches. You trade
one problem for another...

Yours sincerely,

Roger Oberholtzer

Ramböll RST / Systems