Re: [opensuse] Watching videos in openSUSE 12.3

Am 12.06.2013 08:28, schrieb Basil Chupin:
On 12/06/13 01:40, Daniel Bauer wrote:

Am 11.06.2013 17:20, schrieb Felix Miata:
On 2013-06-11 11:12 (GMT-0400) James Knott composed:

So, it would appear there's no way, short of special configurations, to
keep the display from blanking when playing a video?

That hasn't been determined in this thread. Try standalone players like
VLC and/or SMplayer to see if they are smarter. I wouldn't expect such
intelligence from a plugin player or Firefox's native player.

I use VLC to watch videos. It doesn't prevent the screen savers/energy
savers from blanking the screen.

Not so Daniel. I use vlc exclusively for TV/DVD viewing.

Go to Tools>Preferences>All [at bottom]>Video and Disable screensaver.

A part works, at least the part that is important to me: VLC indeed prevents "energy saving", but it does not prevent "screen saver" as the setting says.

That's ok for me, because I want to turn off the screen when unused, but have it running when watching a movie...

Did the following tests ("Disable screensaver" checked in VLC):

KDE system settings-> Hardware -> display and monitor ("Anzeige und Monitor") -> Screen lock ("Bildschirmsperre") -> automatic start after 1 Minute, simple lock.

Started VLC with a video - but after a minute the screen lock applied and VLC did not prevent it. Same with applying a screen saver.

But then (unsetting the above):

KDE system settings-> Hardware -> energy management ("Energie-Verwaltung") -> save energy ("Energiesparen") -> monitor energy management ("Bildschirm-Energieverwaltung") -> 1 Minute.

Started VLC and indeed the screens did not blank during 6 minutes, but 1 minute after I closed VLC. Hurray!

I guess something has changed to the positive since I tried the last time quite a while ago...

regards

Daniel

google+: https://plus.google.com/109534388657020287386