Re: [opensuse] Watching videos in openSUSE 12.3
On 12/06/13 01:40, Daniel Bauer wrote:

Am 11.06.2013 17:20, schrieb Felix Miata:
On 2013-06-11 11:12 (GMT-0400) James Knott composed:

So, it would appear there's no way, short of special configurations, to
keep the display from blanking when playing a video?

That hasn't been determined in this thread. Try standalone players like
VLC and/or SMplayer to see if they are smarter. I wouldn't expect such
intelligence from a plugin player or Firefox's native player.

I use VLC to watch videos. It doesn't prevent the screen savers/energy savers from blanking the screen.

Not so Daniel. I use vlc exclusively for TV/DVD viewing.

Go to Tools>Preferences>All [at bottom]>Video and Disable screensaver.

I switched off energy saving/screen saver wherever I found the option, finally used the xset -dpms.

I'd really like to have my screens saving energy when I leave them for some minutes, but I don't want to switch manually, because I forget it.

So, if anyone has the magic trick to have energy saving enabled, but automagically paused when using a video application, that would be really great!

(It used to be like this on OS 11.don'tknowwhich...)

regards, Daniel

BC

--
Using openSUSE 12.3, KDE 4.10.4 & kernel 3.9.5-1 on a system with-
AMD FX 8-core 3.6/4.2GHz processor