Re: [opensuse] purging old kernels
On Tue, Jun 11, 2013 at 01:50:49PM +0200, Per Jessen wrote:
Peter wrote:

I've just run into the problem of my /boot partition filling up due to
multiple kernel versions, but I don't understand how to resolve it.

As with all my openSUSE installations of the last few years I allotted
only about 125MB to /boot having previously read that that was more
than sufficient, and I've never seen any official recommendation to
the contrary, but some googling now shows me that the kernel
multiversioning will likely require a fair bit more space than that,
which I cannot do easily given the partioning layout.

I guess you have specific reasons for needing a separate /boot
partition?

I looked at the notes on this page:
http://lizards.opensuse.org/tag/kernel-update/
and thought of removing the 'latest-1' element from the line
'multiversion.kernels = ' since my currently installed kernel seems to
be okay. After a reboot nothing is removed from /boot. The above
section in zypp.conf talks about creating a directory for multiversion
definitions, but I don't know if the example file it shows can really
be named 'example' or something else, and don't wish to try in case I
cannot reboot. So I tried commenting out the 'multiversion =
provides:multiversion(kernel)' line above that. Again, a reboot makes
no difference. It seems to suggest that a change would only be applied
after a kernel update, but that could take months, besides which the
partition is already 100% full so a new kernel likely won't install
successfully anyway. How can I purge at least one older kernel (there
are currently 3) directly?

Use 'rm'

There is a service called "purge-kernels" which runs on boot by default
which cleans up the multiple installed kernels.

Check with "systemctl status purge-kernels".

Ciao, Marcus