Re: [opensuse] Re: OS 12.3 udev hangs while booting
On 6/10/2013 9:37 PM, Linda Walsh wrote:
Carlos E. R. wrote:

On 2013-06-11 03:07, Linda Walsh wrote:
Carlos E. R. wrote:

I'll say it again: how is that done on systemd?

The option Andrey and Cristian point out allows to single step the
process, it seems. I understand that service files are calling
programs which can be scripts - you can edit these.
---
Single step at what prompt?

At a shell prompt? where you can re-do the step with tracing
on or run the daemon with different options.

Editing when you are in single-user isn't always the easiest
task.

This presumes your editor and it's libs are all available.

Many of the tasks it runs are binaries...so you may not
be able to easily tell what it is calling.

And then their's the ordering... Seeing the ordering was
easy with scripts numbered in the order to be run...

It would be like sysV only using 'make' in the /etc/rc.d or /etc/init.d
directory and having no 'rcX.d' directories...
all of the 'rcX.d' dirs are a visual for humans.....

More than once I thought about just running make in /etc/rc.d for the
fun of it... (on an appropriate makefile, of course!)...

systemd has it's own makefile format but has no human oriented
visual order dir like systemV provided. It may be that the numbered
start scripts were required for ordering when sysV was created, but
it was kept long past the point of necessity for booting -- since
something like a make-script would have been more efficient and faster
(potentially).

Maybe systemd could have a sysV compatibility mode where it reads it's
directions out of a numbered script dir for a "given target"...

If only some thought had been given to easing this transition...rather
than shoving it down people's throats...and telling them they have no
choice...

Same thing on kernel, lxc/containers, cgroups, libvirt mail lists. Systemd totally breaks things, but it's going in anyways and maybe if your important enough maybe they'll eventually provide some sort of answer for your use case, not anything like as good as what you already had but something. But you suffer the breakage in the mean time.

As smart as Poettering (and heck Rodriguez too) probably are, you know, *real* smart people can figure out how to do new work without alienating people into hating them who might otherwise be on their side, and *real* smart people can figure out how to do new work without catastrophically breaking everything else. *real* smart people don't require "my way or the highway". Otherwise, Linux itself wouldn't be a unix-like system that implements posix (at least as much as anything else does). It'd be it's own completely new and incompatible thing.

--
bkw