Re: [opensuse] Re: new network interface naming scheme (result of systemd & initrd)
  • From: Per Jessen <per@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 11 Jun 2013 08:23:39 +0200
Linda Walsh wrote:

Roger Oberholtzer wrote:
On Fri, 2013-05-24 at 16:14 -0400, Adam Tauno Williams wrote:

die initrd die; eliminating it just eliminates a potential failure
point.

On one hand I agree. On the other, I wonder about things like
diskless installs that boot over the network. Accessing a kernel and
an initrd file via tftp is no problem. More than that seems
complicated...
----
Machines in the 80's and 90's did it all the time.
They didn't have the luxury of having enough RAM to put a file system
on RAM. It's more straight forward than booting from an INITRD --
as you boot the kernel which already had all the drivers it needed for
your hardware built-in.. Then it mounted a remote NFS root and
brought up services from that.

Now that we do have the luxury of enough RAM, it's difficult to see the
advantage of not using an initrd. From my (even if somewhat limited)
perspective, loading one or two files over the network for a PXE boot
makes no big difference. (yes, I have a number of boxes that boot over
PXE, plus some that have root on NFS or iSCSI).

--
Per Jessen, Zürich (14.1°C)