[opensuse] Re: new network interface naming scheme (result of systemd & initrd)
Roger Oberholtzer wrote:
On Fri, 2013-05-24 at 16:14 -0400, Adam Tauno Williams wrote:

die initrd die; eliminating it just eliminates a potential failure
point.

On one hand I agree. On the other, I wonder about things like diskless
installs that boot over the network. Accessing a kernel and an initrd
file via tftp is no problem. More than that seems complicated...
----
Machines in the 80's and 90's did it all the time.
They didn't have the luxury of having enough RAM to put a file system
on RAM. It's more straight forward than booting from an INITRD --
as you boot the kernel which already had all the drivers it needed for your
hardware built-in.. Then it mounted a remote NFS root and brought up
services from that.