Re: [opensuse] XFS and openSUSE 12.1
On 06/03/2013 10:48 PM, Carlos E. R. wrote:
I don't see O_DIRECT mentioned in the dd man page :-?

'direct' is a FLAG for iflag and/or oflag:

$ man dd | grep direct | head -n 1
direct use direct I/O for data

Anyway, for coreutils programs (as for many other GNU projects)
the man page is a copy of the --help output, so for details it
is better to look into the texinfo manual:

$ info coreutils 'dd invocation'

`direct'
Use direct I/O for data, avoiding the buffer cache. Note
that the kernel may impose restrictions on read or write
buffer sizes. For example, with an ext4 destination file
system and a linux-based kernel, using `oflag=direct' will
cause writes to fail with `EINVAL' if the output buffer size
is not a multiple of 512.

Have a nice day,
Berny