[opensuse] Fwd: remote logins have strange keyboard setting... mostly latin, but not sure what? after fact update
Sending this here too, in case anyone has a clue about odd keyboard issues...

I upgraded and rebooted my server this yesterday and have
some oddness when I login to it remotely now -- at least until I
type "reset".

The most noticeable feature is some keys on my keyboard are
remapped to some foreign keys...but NOT that many.

Specifically, on the left, tilda and at sign
~@ => ߧ
On the left side it's the brack/brace /backslash and vertical bar ->

[]\ => ÄÜÖ
{}| => äüö

----
My keyboard/terminal is still set to a 'linux' terminal, and
locale settings look like:
LANG=en_US.UTF-8
LC_CTYPE=en_US.UTF-8
LC_NUMERIC="en_US.UTF-8"
LC_TIME="en_US.UTF-8"
LC_COLLATE=C
LC_MONETARY="en_US.UTF-8"
LC_MESSAGES="en_US.UTF-8"
LC_PAPER="en_US.UTF-8"
LC_NAME="en_US.UTF-8"
LC_ADDRESS="en_US.UTF-8"
LC_TELEPHONE="en_US.UTF-8"
LC_MEASUREMENT="en_US.UTF-8"
LC_IDENTIFICATION="en_US.UTF-8"
LC_ALL=
----
If I type "reset", the terminal goes back to "normal".

If I start an X11 app like gvim from the terminal BEFORE I reset it,
the X11 app catches the weird characters as well. But if I type 'reset'
(ncurses-utils-5.9 in /usr/bin/), it resets the term and then if I launch
an X util, it's "normal".

Anyone have an idea about what might be going on?

Nothing in the environment before/after seems strange (this
is how a pre-reset v. post reset looks from diff:
GPG_TTY=/dev/ttyp2 ö GPG_TTY=/dev/ttyp1
HISTFILE=/home/law/.histIshtar_ttyp2 ö HISTFILE=/home/law/.histIshtar_ttyp1
PIPESTATUS=(Ä0Ü="0" Ä1Ü="0") ö PIPESTATUS=(Ä0Ü="0" Ä1Ü="0" Ä2Ü="0")
PPID=79754 ö PPID=78347
SSH_AUTH_SOCK=/tmp/ssh-2FyrkLSyYB/age ö
SSH_AUTH_SOCK=/tmp/ssh-lwihqyNyKw/age
SSH_CLIENT='192.168.4.12 49606 22' ö SSH_CLIENT='192.168.4.12 49605 22'
SSH_CONNECTION='192.168.4.12 49606 19 ö SSH_CONNECTION='192.168.4.12
49605 19
SSH_TTY=/dev/ttyp2 ö SSH_TTY=/dev/ttyp1
TTY=/dev/ttyp2 ö TTY=/dev/ttyp1
TTY_NAME=ttyp2 ö TTY_NAME=ttyp1
tty=/dev/ttyp2 ö tty=/dev/ttyp1

Even though the chars are displaying 'funny', they still seem
to have their normal meaning and function.

If I use a windows dumb term to ssh in, I don't see the problem, but
it doesn't know how to switch charsets or do whatever
"securecrt" or xterm is doing...

I tried it from a different computer... same thing. it's definitely
an update on the server that is causing this... its very weird.
but fortunately not that difficult to get around...

Any ideas?