Re: [opensuse] Grub2 and installing multiple distros on same computer
On 12/03/13 21:07, C wrote:
On Tue, Mar 12, 2013 at 10:20 AM, Basil Chupin <blchupin@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
A question: can grub boot into uefi setups which are now, or about to be,
all the rage?
It can't handle any UEFI system I've got. I have to use Grub2.
I suspected as much.
I should clarify that if I switch off UEFI (there is a legacy option
thing in the UEFI/BIOS) then UEFI seems to take a backseat, and Grub1
will work fine. It gets a bit weird with UEFI turned on, and the UEFI
is aware of openSUSE when it's installed - it's even listed as a
bootable OS when you poke around in the UEFI/BIOS after installing
openSUSE. Grub1 didn't want to play nice, but I never spent any time
at all to discover why because Grub2 was a fire-and-forget. Grub2 and
the openSUSE install seemed to have no issue at all with a multiboot
configuration (I did not install other OSes post openSUSE install, but
others were on the drives prior to installing).

Thanks for this C. Valuable information which I have taken onboard.

I read an interesting response to something I said about grub2 in another place - in other words I got 'raked over the coals' :-) - which said that Ubuntu follows upstream convention and does NOT use the term grub2 but uses grub.

I therefore can assume that this use of grub2 is in openSUSE only?

BC

--
Using openSUSE 12.3 x86_64 with KDE 4.10.1 & kernel 3.8.2-1