Re: [opensuse] 10 days out - 12.3 recommendations
On Saturday 09 March 2013, Basil Chupin wrote:
On 07/03/13 22:51, Carlos E. R. wrote:

El 2013-03-06 a las 22:25 -0600, Christofer Bell escribió:
On 3/6/13 9:38 PM, "Basil Chupin" <> wrote:
unquote

Do you understand the words "stable" and "newest , but stable"?

I don't think *you* understand what "stable" means in this
context.

No, he doesn't.

I am going to end this thread - at least my involvement in it - right
here and now.

I have a very strong suspicion that whoever is arguing for this
Evergreen version and against what Tumbleweed is all about is doing
so without the slightest idea of having actually installed and used
Tumbleweed.

The whole argument so far has been about words and the meaning of
words - but nothing based on actual experience.

People flapping their ears simply on the basis of what they believe,
on how they interpret words.

I have Tumbleweed installed.

Does who are arguing against TW: do you have TW installed? Per - do
you have TW installed?

I don't have Evergreen installed. I have no need to do so because I
had openSUSE 11.4 installed *2* years ago.

And I certainly don't want to go back and use something which is 2
years old this month.

It makes no sense to go back after upgrading. Evergreen is about NOT
upgrading at all.

Now, when it comes to Tumbleweed, which as I said, I do have
installed and have tried it, let me say 2 things:

1. It is NOT in any way "bleeding edge" - my installation of 12.2 is
more "bleeding edge" than Tumbleweed; and

Don't you understand that any upgrade, for example from 12.2 to 12.3
will bring you some small or bigger issues which you have to fix after
doing the update? You even posted something about a 12.3 regression in
the other thread.

To avoid such issues you could simply NOT upgrade. "Bleeding edge" in
this context means the latest openSUSE release.
Specially since 12.1 we got so many huge changes that many people have
really no motivations to risk upgrading good old 11.4. After end of
life they have to switch to Evergreen if they still want to get
important security and bug fixes.

If you suggest them to use Tumbleweed instead of Evergreen then you
haven't uderstood the whole thing because Tumbleweed will bring you any
existing upgrade issue to your machine. That's exactly what those
Evergreen people want to avoid.

Tumbleweed is the exact opposite of Evergreen. The fact that it's more
stable than Factory doesn't change the fact that it's much more
unstable than sticking to any older particular release where you have
already fixed all issues which you got after installing at the time
some years ago.

cu,
Rudi