[opensuse] Root and boot partitions on a sw raid volume (opensuse 12.2 - 12.3 rc1 64bit)
Hi all,
i'm relatively new to opensuse, but i have been using linux (red hat based
distros) since ten years ago (linux is not my job however).

I've done several test installations using opensuse 12.2 and 12.3 rc1 and i
encountered some unexpected problems with my partition layout and i started to
realize that, probably, booting from a raid volume is not a supported
configuration. I've already shared my experience on the forum without finding a
definitive answer

https://forums.opensuse.org/english/get-technical-help-here/pre-release-beta/483476-failed-installation-md-raid-opensuse-12-3-rc1.html

https://forums.opensuse.org/english/get-technical-help-here/pre-release-beta/483699-unpredictable-behavior-yast-installer-already-partitioned-disks-12-3-rc1.html

This is the partition layout i would like to implement:

/boot -> /dev/md0 (raid1) -> sda1, sdb1
swap -> /dev/md1 (raid1) -> sda2,sdb2
/ -> logvol1 -> volgroup1 -> /dev/md2 -> sda3,sdb3
/home -> logvol2 ->volgroup1 -> /dev/md2 -> sda3,sdb3
/tmp -> logvol3 -> volgroup1 -> /dev/md2 -> sda3,sdb3
/var -> logvol4 -> volgroup1 -> /dev/md2 -> sda3,sdb3
/space1 -> sda4
/space2 -> sdb4

The bootloader I selected was grub2.

The system i obtain using full dvd yast graphical installation is unbootable.
Doing some investigation (details on the forum) i discovered that grub was
installed only on the first disk and the /dev/md0 raid volume was not
initialized. All the /boot files were in sdb1 and nothing was written in sda1
which is the boot device really addressed by grub2 instance installed in the
sda mbr. I manually started /dev/md0 with sdb1 and then i hot added sda1.
Sinchronization started and completed few seconds later ( /boot is only 500 MB
large). After sync was completed a rebooted the system and grub2 was able to
regularly boot the system.

By this way the system can boot, but can't survive to an sda failure because
gurb is missing from sdb.

I did some more test and i manually installed grub2 on sdb, without touching
the configuration files. The system apparently is now able to survive an sda
failure a boots from sdb.

So my questions are:

1) Is really this configuration unsupported by opensuse ? I'm very surprised
about that because redhat based distros i used in the past support booting form
raid since, at least, 2008

2) Is manually adjusting the system as i described above (manual sync and
manual grub installation) a reasonably secure way to have a stable system ?

I also tryed to manually create partitions, raid and lvm volume prior to start
the yast installer (see my second forum thread) but i encountered an erratic
and unpredictable behavior of yast which refuses to use some raid volume,
seeing them as they were physical disks.

Any similar experience ?

I have also opened a feature request on openfate

https://features.opensuse.org/314870