Re: [opensuse] GRUB2 hell
On 2013-03-07 14:30 (GMT+1100) Basil Chupin composed:

what I have decided to do is to wait for the Gold to become
available and then install that[*].

While you wait, boot any live media that contains Grub Legacy (I use Knoppix, the granddaddy of live Linux media), then:

mount your /boot partition (sda1) to /mnt
# cp -a /usr/lib/grub/* (or wherever you find what belongs in /boot/grub) /mnt/boot/grub/
# grub
grub> find /boot/grub/stage1

(hd0,0)
(hd0,2)
(hd0,4)
(hd0,5)

based upon above output, e.g. (hd0,2) (aka /dev/sda3, your 12.2 /; /dev/sda1, your master /boot)

grub> root (hd0,0)
grub> setup (hd0,0)
quit
ensure MBR code is generic (not Grub)
ensure only active (aka startable) primary is /dev/sda1 using fdisk or other
tool

That's all that's actually required, though creating a usable /mnt/boot/grub/menu.lst (if one does not already exist, otherwise edit appropriately) now will ease the next boot. Assuming you don't do menu.lst, then to get into 12.2:

reboot
grub> find /boot/vmlinuz # ensure what's expected exists
grub> find /boot/initrd # ditto, e.g. (hd0,2)
grub> kernel (hd0,2)/boot/vmlinuz
grub> initrd (hd0,2)/boot/initrd
grub> boot

You may or may not need to append anything following /boot/vmlinuz, but nothing at all is probably enough to get you going.

Felix Miata *** http://fm.no-ip.com/