Re: [opensuse] Why everyone should learn to use the command line
Per Jessen said the following on 03/06/2013 10:53 AM:
mt_st is a separate package.

OK, I'll drop the sarcasm: Why isn't 'mt' in a separate package then?
Both CPIO and TAR can be used without a mag tape. In fact CPIO is used,
as I pointed out, in packaging a lot of stuff very intimately concerned
with the kernel and booting.

If 'mt' has to be packaged with something, then putting it with TAR
makes more sense than putting it with CPIO.

if 'mt_st' is packaged separately, why can't 'mt' be packaged separately?

I know the answer to that; it *CAN*. On my Mageia system it is.
When I get to it I'll check my Fedora system.

So: why, why why?

I'm sure we can find other packaging and dependency inanities

--
When one find's oneself in a hole of one's own making, it is a good time
to examine the quality of the workmanship.