Re: [opensuse] Curious about Yast2 Partitioner
  • From: ianseeks <ianseeks@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 05 Mar 2013 19:30:23 +0000
On Monday 04 Mar 2013 10:39:05 Marc Chamberlin wrote:
I decided to get my computers ready for the upcoming new release of
openSuSE 12.3 and my approach has been to always install each release in
a separate partition. That way I can continue to use the older
release(s) until I get the new version up on running. (I have a few
servers and other complications that does not make this a simple/easy
upgrade process.)

Anywise, on a couple of systems, I found I needed to resize and/or move
partitions around a bit, on my disk drives. So I trotted over to Yast2
and discovered that the partitioner, that comes as part of its tool set,
does not allow one to do either, claiming that it can't because the
partitions are already created and in use. Neither does the version of
Yast that comes with the installation disk for openSuSE where such
capability is most likely going to be required. I found that both rather
surprising and frustrating, especially since over in the Windoz world
tools like Partition Magic have had that sort of capability for decades now.

Strange, i launched the partitioner in Yast and it allowed me the option to
resize and/or move - not that i actually did it. The buttons were active so i
pressed the resize one and it allowed me pick a new size.

So I headed off to the internet in search of a better Linux partitioning
tool and quickly came across one called GParted. And lo and behold it
did exactly what I wanted! Not only that, but it has a nice GUI
interface, like Partition Magic that makes it really easy to do. No need
to figure out any of the low level details, just drag and drop
partitions around and resize them via GUI images. AND I was really
impressed by GParted in how careful it was in going about doing resizing
and moving partitions around. Lots of testing being done to make sure
things would go smoothly before actually making changes. It appears like
a LOT of thought has gone into that tool, far more than even Partition
Magic which doesn't appear to do nearly the same amount of preliminary
testing. I think this is a REALLY FINE tool, from my first humble
impressions, and Wikipedia says this tool has been around for about 8
years now...

So my question is this - Why, when there is a tool that is so much more
capable, open sourced and freely available, is Yast2 sticking to using
such a brain dead partitioning tool? Why not yank that tool out of Yast
and replace it with GParted? Is it because no one has the
time/inclination to improve the user experiences with Yast? Or has the
knowledge about Yast been lost due to its designers moving on to other
places and no one is available/capable to work on improvements to it? If
so, then I can understand, and no I cannot volunteer either, I already
have too many "volunteered" projects on my plate. I just wonder because
this makes Yast appear as if it is really becoming dated. IMHO I think
most users would be much happier if Yast guided them to using GParted
instead of this archaic and crippled partitioning tool that now comes
with Yast2.

I won't be using the Yast partitioner any more now that I have
discovered GParted, and suspect I may have answered my own question,
;-) but still I am just curious about how much thought has been given
to improving the partitioning tool in Yast2.... Marc...