Re: [opensuse] 10 days out - 12.3 recommendations
On 3/4/2013 2:30 AM, Istvan Gabor wrote:

I suggest not removing your old OS until you are sure everything you need
works in the new OS as expected.
That is, install OS 12.3 on a new partition, copy your home dir content to it
and test it for weeks.
There are too many substantial changes between recent openSUSE releases,
which might result in
unstable, unreliable behavior that not obvious at first.
(For example in openSUSE 12.1 on my hardware samba service is randomly
started or not started at boot.
For this reason I had to stay with 11.2. on some machines.)
Be prepared for easter eggs.

I also suggest that you keep your home partition separately from system
partition.
In that case you can mount your home dir in any OS.

Cheers,

Istvan

Lucky for me I have always installed /home as a separate partition.

(I've been variously upgrading or nuking since Suse 7.x)
I also regularly backup the entire machine, preserving permissions etc.

I worry more about the switching to systemd and some of the other changes
since 11.4, which (for me at least) has been amazingly stable, but has
fallen out of maintenance.

So the question was not only about the probability of success for an in-place
upgrade
to 12.3, but also the suitability of that approach. Carlos indicated it works
fine
but It wasn't clear if he did that in one jump or many.

The only odd feature I need is the requirement to host VmWare imposed by my day
job.