Re: [opensuse] Free Office Suite
  • From: C <smaug42@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 4 Mar 2013 20:04:59 +0100
On Mon, Mar 4, 2013 at 7:46 PM, Doug wrote:
I bought the commercial version of SoftMaker Office some time ago.
They haven't spammed me, and they have been very good about
sending me a new copy when I told them I had had to reinstall
Linux due to some unrelated problem. It takes a few days for
them to respond, but they do. I felt that the program was
worth paying for, and I still do. Since I edit text submitted by
others, it helps that it will, for instance, automatically fix inch-mark
quotes, which LO and OO cannot do. It seems to read all the MS
file types that I have received. I don't (and won't) own MS Office,
so I can't test It for all variations. It lacks a data-base,
altho perhaps the mail component would suffice--I don't use a
db anyway.
If you're worried about spamming, why not just put them in your
filter list?

I just don't see the point when LibreOffice supplies everything
without having to harvest my email address or charge me a fee for
spellcheck and the ability to save in DOCX (never mind whether I
should save in that format or not... not the point of this
conversation). I'm not against paying for software, but... I just
honestly don't see the benefit over LibreOffice..

I use LibreOffice every day. My partner uses it for her professional
work... there have been zero issues working with her employer who uses
MS Office 2010. We can exchange docs and basic spreadsheets with no
issues.

I can spam bucket their emails.. but honestly why should I have to.

C.