Re: [opensuse] Free Office Suite
On 03/04/2013 12:55 PM, C wrote:
On Mon, Mar 4, 2013 at 2:40 PM, Mark Misulich wrote:
Hi,
everyone on this list is always looking for a office suite that works in
Linux and that works well for office tasks. I haven't fully tested out
the latest version of Softmaker Office Suite, but it seems to work well
for everything I have used it on so far.

The latest free version is available now for download from this url:

http://www.freeoffice.com/en/
Great except they want my email address so they can spam me with
"newsletters" (they even state this when they try to get me to give
them my email address) and the FreeOffice version is missing features
according to http://www.freeoffice.com/en/features (Commercial version
tab)

Thanks, but LibreOffice (or OpenOffice) gives me all this and more for
free without harvesting my email address, and it's already included in
openSUSE.

C.
I bought the commercial version of SoftMaker Office some time ago.
They haven't spammed me, and they have been very good about
sending me a new copy when I told them I had had to reinstall
Linux due to some unrelated problem. It takes a few days for
them to respond, but they do. I felt that the program was
worth paying for, and I still do. Since I edit text submitted by
others, it helps that it will, for instance, automatically fix inch-mark
quotes, which LO and OO cannot do. It seems to read all the MS
file types that I have received. I don't (and won't) own MS Office,
so I can't test It for all variations. It lacks a data-base,
altho perhaps the mail component would suffice--I don't use a
db anyway.
If you're worried about spamming, why not just put them in your
filter list?

--doug

--doug