Re: [opensuse] What are these "devices" in my partition info?
Felix Miata said the following on 03/03/2013 12:41 AM:
On 2013-03-03 08:51 (GMT+0400) Andrey Borzenkov composed:

/dev/shm has always been there; cgroup is pseudo filesystem to
manage kernel Control Groups (collection of processes); others are
temporary volatile filesystems with content that is discarded between
reboots. So it is easier to make them memory-based than run script on
every boot to clean them.

Most of them are heavily used by systemd.

Why do they show up in default output of 'mount'? Seems like all those are
nothing but obfuscatory when one wishes to see what user accessible
filesystems (EXTx, FAT, CIFS, NFS, ISO9660, etc.) are mounted where and how.

Regular readers will recall that I'm a heavy user of LVM (on all except
the experimental BtrFS system). That and heavy use of NFS and
aggressive partitioning so I can back up a partition onto CD/DVD means
I may on some machines see as many as 40-50 "user accessible" entries
when I run the basic 'mount' command. This is pretty unintelligible!

So, for a long time now I have made use of the "-t filesystemtype"
or the basic 'grep' command to cut down what I see and make it more
manageable.

You may cast aspersions on my strategy of having so many partitions, and
I'll shrug it off and point out that on the other other hand I'm
experimenting with BtrFS where I have just one partition for the whole
drive. maybe I'll plug in another drive and have just the one (logical)
partition across both of them. Maybe a third...

But hey, that gets <strike>unintelligible</strike> unmanageable in other
ways.

Does that security flaw about having /tmp on the same partition as /
still apply? What about a 'sticky bit' when it's all one partition?
What about different buffering and write strategies being lost when you
move from many partitions to just one partition?

--
The scientific name for an animal that doesn't either run from or fight
its enemies is lunch.