Re: [opensuse] Silly little text file editing question............
James Knott said the following on 03/01/2013 10:20 AM:
Hans Witvliet wrote:
But, even in those days there were people who could create decent
editors, like the LSE from Digital...

I used to use an editor on a VAX 11/780, but I don't recall what it was
called. What impressed me was, on one occasion, the computer crashed,
then after it was brought back up, the editor replayed everything I had
done to create the document.

Yes, I recall that.
At one point I had to take some source and do a quick patch on a
production machine rather than working in the pig-pen. Sitting nest to
the VAX I heard the disk 'hit' with every character I typed.

I know VI has/had an option for crash recovery but its not
character-by-character.

What made me wonder ... back in the pig-pen there were 40+ people
hammering away with the editor, coding and writing docco or test data or
something. That must be hell on disk bandwidth is the editor was
flushing to disk key-stroke by keystroke for all of them. How could the
machine get any other useful work done?

--
Men fear thought as they fear nothing else on earth, more than ruin,
more even than death. . . . Thought is subversive and revolutionary,